How to Run A Pump ?
A pump is a device that moves fluids (liquids or gases), or generally suspension, by mechanical action. follow procedure for “How to Run A Pump”.
- Line up the pump seals fluid
- Line up the pump casing jacket cooling system
- Check the bearing oil level
- Open the pump suction level absolutely
- Take away the vapor / air from the pump casing
- If it’s reciprocation pump keep suction and discharge valve full open
- If it is a centrifugal pump keep the discharge valve shut or crank open
- If the pump has recycle line then keep recycle management valve full open so begin the pump and slowly open discharge valve by observance discharge pressure
- Monitor for any abnormal sound
Pump Start-up Procedure
- Line up the pump valves.
- Ensure the casing drain valve is closed.
- Open the suction valve.
- Open the vent valve to bleed off gases – once liquid comes from the vent valve – shut it once more. (This is termed ‘Priming of pump’).
- Open the gland-seal valve (if fitted).
- Check the bearing with oil coolant systems (if it is Available).
- if an oil bottle or ‘slinger-ring’ reservoir is employed for the bearings, guarantee it’s full and functioning properly.
- Check by Finger that the pump shaft is smoothly rotating – (power is Cut-OFF at this time).
- Energies or, if the rule applies, have the skilled worker energize, the power supply.
- The discharge valve, at this point, ought to still shut off.
- begin the pump motor. Ensure the pump is rotating within the desired direction.
- confirm the discharge pressure is maintained a fixed value – if not check at the vent and unharness from now on treed gas.
- Check for vibration, heating and/or any undue noise from the pump, bearings or coupling.
- Again check the fill up and cooling systems & check for leaks at the pump glands. (With the ‘packed’ seal, a small amount of leak is acceptable for lubrication and cooling of the gland). Open the discharge valve
- Report back to Monitoring room that the pump is operational and every one is O.K. (If not O.K. -shut down the pump and have the room operator decision a maintenance mechanic).
More:- Chemical Engineering World